Last blog of mine was on automated testing tool. Today I will share my detailed experience on manual testing by which I always go through and let you know about the testing life cycle process of software; here are few steps during the testing and it affectedly helped me out to sort out the bugs in a CRM 2013 system test.The Software Testing Life Cycle methodology explains the phases in examination of software. In Software Testing Life Cycle process, many actions are performed to improve the quality of the product; here following is the simple test process flow -
1. Requirement Analysis – This is the initial step of this process because it is an important to get an understanding of the necessity in terms of what I am testing and figure out the requirements to which test can be performed. If I found conflict, missing or not understood any requirement, then I follow up with the BA (Business Analyst) to get better understanding of the requirement whether there is a need to automated test process / manual test process as per the result I lead.
Entry Criteria – Gone through documents like Requirements Specification, Application architectural and Acceptance criteria standards should be well defined.
Activities performed – Prepare the list of questions and queries if I have and get resolved from BA, Sort out the list for what types of tests can be performed like Functional test, Security test, and Performance test etc. Configure the Test environment and testing activities that will be carried out.
Deliverable – Detailed list of questions and all answers to be resolved BA or Project manager.
2. Test Planning / Designing – This is the important phase of STLC. Here I define the overall testing strategy. Once test planning phase is completed I started with test cases development activity.
Entry Criteria – To create a successful plan need requirements Documents and unclear or missing requirement.
Activity performed – Define Objective & scope of the project and list down the testing types involved in the STLC. To estimate Test effort and define the testing process overview, test environment required for complete project. Create the test schedules. Figure out roles and responsibilities. Define any risk if involved.
Deliverable – Test Plan/Test strategy document.
3. Test Case Development – Test plan is available according to the plan the case development is get created. Write down the detailed test cases.
Entry Criteria – Software Requirements Documents needed.
Activity performed – Preparation of test cases and preparation of test automation scripts (if required).
Deliverable – Test cases and Test data to be used while testing and test Automation Scripts (if required).
4. Test Environment Setup – Set up the test environment is very important part of the STLC. The test environment decides on which conditions the particular scenario is going to be tested. This can be independent activity or can be started parallel with other test. Meanwhile I prepared the smoke test cases to ensure test environment setup is done.
Entry Criteria – Test Plan, Smoke Test cases.
Activity performed – Analysed the necessities and prepare the list of requirement to set up test environment.
Deliverable – Complete test Environment will be ready with test data and Smoke test.
(Note: Smoke testing is the preliminary testing process performed to check whether the software under test is ready or stable for further testing).
5. Test Execution – The test execution can be initiated now based on prepared test planning & prepared test cases in the previous steps. Also apply different testing methodology. (Different testing methodology will discuss in next blog).
Entry Criteria – Test plan, Test strategy document, Test cases and Test data is available to be used further.
Activity performed – Execute the test cases. Mark status of test cases like accept, rejected, Blocked, etc. Assign failed cases to the developer back. Perform retest to the rejected cases once they are fixed again.
Deliverable – Deliver test case execution report.
6. Test Cycle Closure – Evaluate Test coverage, Quality, Cost, Time, Critical Business Objectives, and Software performance. Figure out the loop holes and the arrears where need to improve and acknowledge the development team member.
Entry Criteria – So test case execution is completed and test case Execution report/ defect report is passed further to the team hierarchy.
Activity performed – Evaluate test cycle completion criteria’s as per the test plan.
Deliverable – Test closure report.